Sunday, January 4, 2009

A Velvet Covered Brick


Once again we were lame-os all day long. Johnny played video games with Cole, took a few pictures and helped me clean up before my mom came home from work. I watched Monster in Law and fed everyone. It wasn't until I was serving everyone dinner when I started to think about what I was going to write tonight in my blog...I had nothing!
We were planning to go to church and that was what I was planning to write about but we missed both services this morning. Then I remembered there was a service at 7 that we would still be able to make.
Before we left for New Mexico we told Lynne she could pick out the church we would try out because we know how much she wanted us to attend. She picked First Baptist Church so that is where we headed at 6:45.
When we walked in we saw that we were the youngest ones there, with a little chuckle we headed to the pews. We didn't even sit in the very back! First the Pastor, Ed Meyers, came and introduced himself to us. Since it only took about a 1 1/2 minutes to get there we were very early! Then Tom came and introduced himself to us and sat down to explain the goings on. There are 3 different services: 8:15 is the contemporary service where they have the electric guitars and drums, 10:45 is the traditional service and then 7 pm is the service people go to that aren't very serious about coming every Sunday or are new to town. So I guess we picked the right service hah!
It started pretty much like every Sunday service I have ever been to started. Singing, prayer, more singing and then the main message. The pastor wasn't the best but we soon discovered that the church is looking for a new one so we don't know if he was a sub, try out or the old pastor. Everyone there was really nice so we will probably go a few more time before we decide to give up and find another church.
My mom keeps hearing about a Methodist church that is supposed to have a wonderful daycare so maybe we will look into their services as well. I don't really understand the difference between all the different names; Methodist, Baptist, Lutheran...??? David? Bethany? Lynne, want to fill me in?? hah, oh well.
So before I leave I guess I should explain my title. Tonight Pastor Ed talked about yielding to each other and one of his examples through the message was that to be a leader you have to be a brick, strong and stable...but to get things to work out with everyone you also should be covered with velvet because some people need a softer touch. I just thought that was kinda funny...Velvet Bricks, Ha!

No comments:

Post a Comment