Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Best Day!

My mom got back from California on Sunday evening, she had been gone for a week on a nice little vacation. She was out there because my grandpa had to have a hernia repaired and she wanted to help out my grandma. The surgery went well and he seems to be recovery quickly. Anyways, while she was in CA, we were here in our usual routine with Johnny working and me taking care of Cole. It was a tough week. Cole and Madison seemed to fight more than ever!! So I decided Monday needed to be a good day with just Madison and me.

I realized that back in CA I never really did anything fun with just the two of us. We always had friends or Johnny come along. There isn't that much to do here and we go to the park a lot so I decided we should go to the Living Desert State Park and Zoo. Its a tiny little place but its only $5! Its nice because its one loop around the park so it is easy to see everything. We started off looking at the birds, then pigs, and their black bear. My favorite are the wolves. They are always so active running around their exhibit. Then we saw the snakes and prairie dogs, deer and bison and ended at the wild cats. That is also really cool! There was a mountain lion laying out on the rocks like 10 ft away. The bobcat was hiding in the shade but still really easy to find. We went through the exhibits and I would ask her what noises they make or "whats that?" It really was a wonderful Mommy Daughter trip! When we were done we got lunch and were about to head to the park but my mom needed us to pick up Cole.

Johnny was off at 4 so then we headed to get him. Madison fell asleep in the car so when we got home, we took advantage and cleaned and packed up. We got most of our clothes and shoes we don't wear packed up, so now we are pretty much done.

After Madison woke up Johnny wanted to go run so Maddy and I biked along with him. Its really fun to get out and exercise together! Johnny's foot was hurting him so we switched but now Madison wanted to run with me. Johnny stayed on the bike in case she got tired but she ran almost a half mile with only a couple stops for water or curiosity. Johnny was really impressed and excited to see her love to run. He couldn't believe how easy it was for her to run the entire way and didn't even seem to be out of breath. We might take her to the track and see how long she can go.

Even though it was about 6:30 when we were done it was so hot we decided to go swimming. Madison was a little timid at first. She stayed on the float and would tell me what animal to pretend to be. After being a dolphin, dog, frog and splashing her as Shamu, I talked her into getting into the water. I had her kick and blow bubbles and then she hung out on my back while I swam around telling me to be flounder but not to go under the sea. It was getting cold so we were getting ready to get out when she says,"Momma, wait. I want to go under the sea now" So I showed her how to hold her breath and I plugged her nose and we went under really quick. She came up with a big smile on her face and was so proud of herself! Looks like Johnny and I will be competing over swimming and running!

It was a really really great family day. As much as we enjoy Cole, it was really nice to have a day with just the 3 of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment